Saturday, August 2, 2008

NAIG Day 1 - The Intro

Here I am in Duncan/Cowichan B.C. and what a day it has been!
It started with me falling asleep on my alarm clock (because I use my cell phone) and waking up 10 minutes before I should actually be at the airport. With a little coaxing I managed to get the cabbie to run red lights (figuratively, not literally) to get to the airport ASAP.

Nonetheless, after fancy foot work, I managed to make it on the plane with only minutes to spare.

5.5 hours later, I arrived in Vancouver to hop a short flight to Victoria, and begin making our way the Cowichan Territory.

What a beautiful drive it is from Victoria to Cowichan, along the mountainous coast overlooking the turquoise ocean, with huge Douglas firs lining the highway, and everywhere else in between.

We stopped a few times along the way to take some pictures of the scenery. We didn't stop long, though, because we had to get to the college we're staying at to unpack, and then get to the Games to setup our booth and begin working the crowds.

All-in-all today was enjoyable, draining, both mentally and physically (since it's been an 18-hour work day), but it has been good.

Be sure to check back regularly for the latest on what's happening at NAIG, my take on the games and some great photos of my adventure to the West Coast.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

That stretch of highway is lovely and consists of many old growth trees including the Douglas-fir you mentioned. It also has some of the largest western red cedar trees I’ve ever seen. These trees had many traditional uses among the First Nations people of Vancouver Island. Keep an eye out for the canoes, poles, masks and other items made of red cedar.

If you’re interested, there is some more info on Wikipedia, but I'm sure just by talking to some of the local people, you'll find thier happy to share their knowledge. I thought I read somewhere there will be pole carving demonstrations onsite.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_red_cedar