Monday, August 4, 2008

NAIG Day 3 - Networking and Spreading the Word

What to say about Day 3 at the North American Indigenous Games? Well, it all started with a breakfast fit for a king or should I say an athlete.

Since a few of my colleagues went to Victoria today to go on a whale watching excursion, the few of us that remained had to catch the proletariat chariot (a.k.a. the yellow school bus) to the venue.

Unfortunately, the person who told me the bus schedule from the college gave me the wrong time and I missed the last bus.

Thank goodness one of the volunteers at the Games was heading into town and offered to drop me off.

Once noon rolled around, it was time to shine and work the crowds yet again. Things have been going so well that I am going to have to send back to the office to see if they can courier some more NAHO information and swag or it is going to be a long 6 remaining days with no resources. Nonetheless, I can pitch the crowd on the great work that NAHO does because it really speaks for itself.


4:00 p.m. rolled around pretty quick (end of first shift) despite the fact it was a balmy 31C. I was off to the hall for an early dinner. However, as I was walking, I decided to detour to the soccer field to catch a bit of the junior girls soccer game between N.W.T. and Saskatchewan. I'm not sure of the score, but it was exciting nonetheless.

After dinner and schmoozing the crowds, I heard a faint rhythm coming from down yonder. I decided to take a stroll. Lo and behold some country singer named Shane Yellowbird was beltin' out the tunes.

Now, riddle me this, why is a country guy singing songs from the Counting Crows?


In the end, all the athletes and support staff seemed to really love him, I guess that's why he's up for a Canadian Country Music Award.

My night ended with me taking the big yellow school bus with 40 screaming 13-year-old girls back to the college. With that it's time for some shut-eye. Ya'll check back now ya hear.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Here's a fun fact.

After a brief look at the Cowichan 2008 Web site, I have found the reason temperatures are so warm where you are.

“Few words carry as much significance in this area as "Cowichan," a word that means "warm land" or "land warmed by the sun" in Hul'qumi'num, the local First Nations language. It's a fitting description for a region that has the warmest year-round temperatures of anywhere in Canada.” http://www.cowichan2008.com/host_community/the_warm_land.html

Steven Vanloffeld said...

Hi Colleen, you're great. Thank you for that interesting tidbit. I look forward to more.