Sunday, August 3, 2008

NAIG Day 2 - Let the Games Begin

24hrs has passed and here I sit reflecting on the day for all my loyal Journeys for Health blog readers.

This morning started off with me waking up at 7:30 a.m. and strolling the campus like a hungry animal for food to no avail.

While scrounging, I was asked by the head volunteer to be the official photographer of the morning prayer/ceremony, which was quite an honour.

After the brief prayer and words of encouragement, our group headed over to the Athlete's Village to get lunch.

To our surprise the line up was 500 people deep and 1.5hrs long in the sweltering sun.

After eating 3 plates of eggs, hash browns, chili, nachos, apples, plums, and salad, I was ready to get on with the day and to face/work the crowds.

I am sure you are all curious what it is I do at events like this. Well, I kiss babies and shake hands to promote NAHO, careers in health, health education, the Aboriginal Health Human Resources Initiative, and network.

Basically, I spread the word about what NAHO does and make business contacts.

Later, when I am back in the office, I follow up with people to see if there is anything we can work on together to advance the health of First Nations, Inuit and Métis.

At 2:00 p.m. everyone (except for me) went to the Opening Ceremonies to watch the parade of athletes from across North America and the Opening Ceremonies for the Games.

There were roughly 20,000 people in attendance (or so my colleagues tell me) and the parade of athletes and coaches etc. was a kilometer long.

It must have been quite the site but, because no one knows how to work a crowd like me, I can only speculate from the pictures my co-workers took for this blog.

It has been another tiring, but eventful day, and after 3 hamburgers, 3 salads, 4 plums, 2 apples and 3 juice boxes for dinner, it was back to the dorm where I now sit writing up the day's events for all of you in cyber land.

Don't forget to check back tomorrow for more adventures from B.C.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

According to various news reports the Parade of Athletes consisted of 23 teams and paddlers from Tribal Journeys.

APTN reported this is the seventh North American Indigenous Games in 16 years and is the first to be hosted on a First Nations Traditional Territory.

Of the 20,000 people in attendance, 8,000 people are expected to visit the Cultural Village daily. What a great networking opportunity. Keep up the good work.